[b-hebrew] dagesh, gemination, Hannah

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Thu Apr 28 19:27:32 EDT 2011

I am not sure why there is a double n in Phennana, the same way I am
not sure why there is a double m and a double t and a double e in the
English word committee, yet only one m in coming.

It is hard to believe, yet the LXX may have confused the look-alike
Hebrew letters H and X, as well as R and D (is there any work on the
rendering of the Hebrew names by the LXX?). For PIYNXAS of Num. 25:7
they have the curious Φινεες, yet Gen. 11 they "correctly"
render NAXOR as Ναχωρ, but ,then, TERAX is suddenly made into
Θαρα. Did they see the last X of TERAX as a silent H? The name
IRAD עירד of Gen. 4:18 is made into Γαιδαδ.

To return to Phennana, the MT has it as PNINAH with a dagesh in the
second N as is customary after a xirik sans yod. I notice with
interest that they read the first letter of this name as a "soft" F
and not as the "hard" P of today. The second N of PNINAH has a dagesh
'forte' and yet this N is not "geminated". On the other hand they
render the city name AKO (with a dagesh in the K as customary after a
patax) of Jud. 1:31 as Ακχω.
It is all, unfortunately, very bewildering. I tend to think that the
LXX are mostly wrong, and the MT right; Αρμαϑαιμ and Σιϕα
just don't sound right to me (as well as the funny Phennana).

Yes, indeed, the Editors of the Oxford Hebrew-English dictionary have
removed all dgeshim, except in B K P, and also all the unnecessary
schwas. I love it.

Isaac Fried, Boston University