[b-hebrew] Noun in -WT

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Wed Apr 20 21:16:04 EDT 2011

We need only recall the fundamental statement of Hebrew grammar:

A Hebrew word (sans attached prepositions) consists of a root plus
personal pronouns.

A personal pronoun (PP) כינוי גוף is a temporary universal
name given to a "thing", or object, in order to identify it, in other
words, a PP is an identity marker.
The PP may come before the first, after the last, or in-between the
radical letters. For "infixes" the Hebrew language uses as identity
markers the sound I (in my opinion a contracted HI היא ), the sound
U (in my opinion a contracted HU הוא ), and also E and O, with no
gender implied. In order not to confuse the root no consonant is
allowed (with rare exceptions) between the radical letters.
At the root ends the identifiers may contain N (as in ANI), M (as in
HEM), T (as in AT), H (as in HEN), and K (as in ANOKIY).
U-T is the combined HU-AT.
For example:
SUGAR = S-HU-GAR with the internal HU referring to the thing used for
locking.
SAGUR = SAG-HU-R with the internal HU referring to the locked thing.
SAGRU = GAGR-HU, 'they locked'.
HUSGAR = HU-SGAR, 'he was turned in', HUSGRU = HU-SGR-HU, they were
turned in'.
KAP, 'palm of the hand, spoon', KAP-IY, 'my spoon', KAP-IY-T, 'a
little spoon, an effeminate spoon'.
XALAB, 'milk', XALB-U, 'they milked', XALAB-IY, 'my milk', or
'milky' (M.), XALAB-IY-T, 'milky' (F.).
XAN-U, 'they parked, they encamped', XAN-U-T, 'store'.
MELEK, 'king', MALK-U, 'they ruled', MALK-U-T, 'kingship, kingdom',
MALK-U-T-IY, 'regal' (M.), MALK-U-T-IY-T, 'regal' (F.).

etc., etc., etc..

Isaac Fried, Boston University