[b-hebrew] Does he eat or is he eaten?

Pere Porta pporta7 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 00:17:41 EDT 2011

(Isaac Fried)

I am just curious. In YAXALIYPU who is the performer of the act XLP, who is
the beneficiary (receiver, target) of the act, and what this act is? Is this
the same act as in Lev. 27:10?

>    (Pere Porta)

"Those who wait for G-d" are the performers of YAXALIYPU in Is 40:31
Here and also in Is 41:1 the meaning is "change for better, renew". The
object of this verb in Is 40:31 is "KX", strength.
In Lev 27:10 this verb simply means "to substitute, change".
Namely, the object KX in Is 40:31 and/or 41:1 casts a new light onto the
basic meaning of "change" (which is the basic meaning of the Hiphil of XLP).

That is what I think.

Do you feel this understanding is right?

Regards,

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain)