[b-hebrew] HEBREW HOMONYMS was Lexical question

Vadim Cherny him at vadimcherny.org
Sat Aug 1 14:22:11 EDT 2009

I agree, it is hard to argue with ben Moses ben Asher and Rambam )
However, the fact is that they understood homonyms differently from
modern grammarians. Thus, for example, Rambam in Moreh Nevuhim treats
"elohim" as a homonym denoting God, angels, rulers, or judges. We would,
of course, find those meanings closely related. It seems that for Rambam
any two meanings were homonyms, even if semantically related. In a
sense, he spoke of theological rather than semantic homonyms. Still in
other words, while we call *totally unrelated* meanings homonyms,
Maimonides calls them homonyms if they are not *strictly equal* in
theological terms. To that end, he introduced a concept of perfect and
imperfect homonyms.

Vadim Cherny
www.vadimcherny.org