[b-hebrew] Times

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Fri Oct 13 00:21:43 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: <Revdpickrel at wmconnect.com>

> Normally, time is rendered as one year, times as two years, in scriptures.
> So would read that David is saying, "my years are in your hand."  A
> prophetic
> year is 360 days, and a prophetic month is 30 days.
>
> Doug.
> Rev. Doug Pickrel, Litt.D.
> Tejas Valley
> San Antonio, Texas

Dear Doug,

Interesting concepts, but what are they based on?. Why should the word "(et"
not mean just "time" in general? The common word for "year" is "Shanah".

And what are "prophetic years" and "prophetic months"? Why would they have
to be round numbers of days? The month used in ancient Israel was a lunar
month of 28 or 29 days - so why would a prophet mean 30? And the common
(non-intercalated) year was 354 days. When a prophet says that something
would happen "in a year's time", he means "next year at this time", and I
doubt if anyone would complain if he was a few days off. For a prophet to
use numbers other than what his audience would relate to would make the
prophecy meaningless.

Besides, what does this psalm have to do with prophecy. It is a prayer of
praise and entreating.

Yigal Levin