[b-hebrew] The Sade/Ayin-Quf literary device

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Fri Dec 29 15:49:56 EST 2006

On 29/12/2006 20:22, K Randolph wrote:
>> Isaiah 28:10 and 28:13 have cw lcw followed by qw lqw.
>>

> Again distinct meanings, CW from the same root as MCWH commandment,
> means a command. QW is a (measuring) line, often used to make a QWH
> measurement. Again, this is poetic with similar sounding yet
> complimentary meanings, saying that the" word of God has become to
> them a command to a command, a command to a command, a measuring line
> to a measuring line, a measuring line to a measuring line, a little
> here, a little there" in other words, concentrating on picayune rules
> and regulations, how far one can walk a sabbath, etc.

I would suggest that these words are actually deliberately meaningless,
an imitation of foreign words which the hearers will not understand, as
suggested by verse 11, and the last part of verse 13, cf. 6:9,10.
Compare also how Paul uses verses 11-12 in 1 Corinthians 14:21,23 to
refer to incomprehensible "tongues".

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Website: http://www.qaya.org/