[b-hebrew] Psalm 36:2

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Tue Dec 19 23:08:52 EST 2006

I wrote:

_____________________

Here is a NET Bible note about another difficulty
in the verse:

5tn Heb “for it causes to be smooth to him in his
eyes to find his sin
to hate.” The meaning of the Hebrew text is
unclear. Perhaps the point
is this: His rebellious attitude makes him reject
any notion that God
will hold him accountable. His attitude also
prevents him from
recognizing and repudiating his sinful ways.
_____________________________________

HH: I wonder if it might be possible to think of
verse 3 this way: "It is flattering to him in his
eyes to find his sin, to hate (it)." Could one
possibly insert an understood third person subject
for the infinitives? The idea would be:

It is flattering to him in his eyes when one finds
   his sin so as to hate it.

HH: The idea would be that he gets a kick out of
how other people discover his wickedness and are
repulsed by it.

HH: I offer this suggestion because I am not
finding the HCSB alternative convincing. How can
one insert the words "too much"? The NRSV, on the
other hand, seems to have no real basis to insert
the word "cannot":

Psa. 36:2 For they flatter themselves in their own
eyes that their iniquity cannot be found out and
hated.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard