[b-hebrew] Samaritan script/proto-hebrew

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri Mar 25 16:36:25 EST 2005

Sorry, I meant to send this to the whole group.

When the DSS traveling display visited the local art museum, about a decade ago, I found that I was able to read most of the displayed scrolls quite easily, knowing only the modern glyphs I learned in school. This was before I learned to read archaic script.

I wonder if the difficulties that modern Israelis have in reading the scrolls has more to do with the facct that modern orthography -- spelling and grammar -- is so different from ancient usage? Therefore, small differences in handwriting styles, as mentioned below, become major barriers to understanding? (In other words, the modern Israeli has much the same reaction as I have when I attempt to read Ma'ariv or other modern document: many of the words look wierd and out of place.)

My 2¢ worth from experience.

Karl W. Randolph.