[b-hebrew] DSS Orthography

Ken Penner pennerkm at mcmaster.ca
Sat Mar 19 14:06:38 EST 2005

> I don't understand, Ken.  If 1QIsa'a is descendent from a
> text identical to
> the proto-Masoretic, how can it be that the reverse - that the
> proto-Masoretic is identical to the source text of 1QIsa'a
> not be true?
> What am I missing?

You changed Kutscher's "a text of the type of" to "the source text of".
There are changes between 1QIsa^a and its ancestor, changes that are not
present in the MT.
1QIsa^a is a bachelor (great-)uncle to the MT. They share a common ancestor,
but the MT is not descended from its uncle.

Ken Penner, M.C.S. (Biblical Languages, Greek Focus), M.A. (Hebrew Poetry)
Ph.D. (cand.), McMaster University
pennerkm at mcmaster.ca
Flash! Pro vocabulary software: http://s91279732.onlinehome.us/flash or