[b-hebrew] Translating Ezekiel 16:26

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sun Jul 31 12:41:12 EDT 2005

On 31/07/2005 13:37, Ben Crick wrote:

> I seem to remember reading a work on Egyptology which I cannot now track
> down, describing the religion of the priests of Amun-Re in the temples of
> Karnak(?). The main activity of the priests at worship was to manually
> masturbate before the statue of Amun, and then ritually eat the semen thus
> produced. The statue of Amun was an "alpha male" with an enlarged sexual
> organ sticking straight out in front. Ptolemy's(?) troops were so disgusted
> with this that they struck off the offending member, which was how Manetho
> and later archaeologists discovered things. A few statues of Amun were found
> with everything still in place. Crudely carved hands and phalluses were also
> discovered as religious artefacts.

See http://web.onetel.com/%7Epeterkirk/Egypt%20pictures/images/4-28l.JPG
(suitable for an adult audience only!), my own photo from the Temple of
Luxor. But this is actually from a barque shrine of Alexander the Great,
so it was not necessarily the Greeks who were censoring such things.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/