[b-hebrew] Author of the torah

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Fri Jul 29 14:49:35 EDT 2005

On Friday 29 July 2005 12:28, Read, James C wrote:
> Quote:
> There are three places where Moses is said to have written something- Ex
> 24:4, Dt 31:9, 31:22.  An even not so careful reading will show that the
> reference to Moses writing refers only to the present pericope.
> end quote.
>
> Have you read Deouteronomy 31:9 closely?
> What did he write?
> The law???
> How do you say 'law' in hebrew?
> Isn't it something like 'torah'?
> And the name of the book attributed to Moshe?
> The torah???
>
> My! What an amazing coincidence!!!

It gets even worse, because I also mentioned other places in the OT that
attribute authorship to Moses, but he wrote that off with "Tradition doesn't
matter a tinker's tin."  I find this statement amazing, as it implies that
anyone with the sense God gave a stale doughnut knows it, yet we have people
of just about every possible tradition right here on this list, including Jim
himself who obviously adheres to the tradition (that's all it is, Jim) called
"scholarly."  So if other people's tradition, and especially folks who were
so much closer to the actual events than we, "doesn't matter a tinker's tin,"
then neither does Jim's.

Another amazing coincidence, I guess.

--
Dave Washburn