[b-hebrew] epexegetical imperfect

cmeadows3 at verizon.net cmeadows3 at verizon.net
Mon Dec 27 10:57:07 EST 2004

Merry Christmas all!

I have a question about the translation of the so-called "pluperfect".  In Genesis 2:19 some bible versions translate the wayyiqtol "wayyatser" as "had formed", giving it an epexegetical sense instead of translating it as a narrative wayyiqtol.  I know opinions vary on this particular verse.  My question is this:

Given that the English "God had formed" is used in the NIV, would it be possible to use "having formed"?  This seems to change things a bit, rendering a wayyiqtol (in apparent narrative) with an English participle (in a dependent clause).  Would this be an acceptable translation?  Wouldn't the author likely have used a participle if this was intended originally?  Thanx.

C Meadows
Marshall University