[b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew

Jim West jwest at highland.net
Fri Dec 24 11:35:08 EST 2004

At 11:02 AM 12/24/2004, you wrote:

>Chapter 1 verse 1: LI$:LOMOH, commonly understood as "by Solomon",
>although I suppose it could mean "for Solomon".

Or to solomon- as a dedicatory note.  Which is how it probably should be
taken.  Chris has already pointed this out.

>Chapter 1 verse 1: QOHELET B.EN-D.FWID, and then verse 12 HFYIYTIY MELEK:
>etc. Only one son of David was king of Israel, that is Solomon. This is
>surely some kind of authorship claim, whether you believe it to be true or not.

What does "ben" mean?  Are you suggesting it must always mean "son"?

Jim West, ThD
Adjunct Professor of Biblical Studies
Quartz Hill School of Theology

http://biblical-studies.blogspot.com Biblical Theology Weblog