[b-hebrew] Al-Arish and Eres

Walter R. Mattfeld mattfeld12 at charter.net
Tue Jun 3 14:29:34 EDT 2003

According to Classical Scholars, Egyptian Pharaohs cut off the noses of
offenders and banished them to El-Arish in the Sinai. The place was called
in Greek Rhinocolura (cut-off noses). According to E.A. Wallis Budge's
Dictonary of Egyptian Hieroglyphic, Egyptian RESH means a "disaease of the
Nose."

Now, as to whether El Arish was *originally* a Semitic/Hebrew word that the
Egyptians equated with their word Resh, I cannot say. But, if I recall
rightly the 18th Dynasty Egyptians made a string of way-stations with water
and provisions along the way of Horus to Canaan, and thus it is just
possible it is indeed an Egyptian word ?

Regards, Walter
Walter Reinhold Warttig Mattfeld, M.A. Ed.
mattfeld12 at charter.net