Jethro and the"The Midianite Hypothesis"

Christopher V. Kimball kimball at ntplx.net
Mon Jan 13 19:19:33 EST 2003

Years ago, we were told a hypothesis about Jethro, Moses' father-in-law,
in Exodus.  The idea was that Moses' contact with Jethro, the priest of
Midian, may have formed his religious ideas. For example, Moses' first
encounter with the deity occurs while sojourning with Jethro in Exodus 3.
This hypothesis implies Judaism an outgrowth of the Midianite religion,
which is certainly curious.

Since I wasn't much of a student, perhaps this is a misunderstanding on my
part.  Has anyone heard of this before?