1QS srk

RGmyrken at aol.com RGmyrken at aol.com
Thu Sep 12 04:01:37 EDT 2002

Dear Serge,

    Schiffman, citing secondary literature too extensive to cite here, notes
that Aramaic sarakh (Dan. 6:3-5) likely derives from Avestan sara, "head",
also attested in Pahlavi.  The ending ka in Sara-ka denotes the doer of the
action in Old and Middle Persian.  Schiffman suggests that sarkha entered
into Aramaic as a loan-word from the Persian during the Achaemenid period
when it denoted an official probably associated with the military.  He
mentions as additional parallels Ethiopic sirak "line, way" and Biblical
serokh, "string."  Schiffman doesn't endorse Weinfield's attempt to link
serekh with the Akkadian risksu (used of "tieing" a covenant).  The meaning
of the word serekh seems bound up with the idea of ordering, sequence,
organizing (and hence the late connotation "Rule" of "Order" as in 1QS)
    Several authors have pointed out that the full range of meanings of
serekh is paralleled with the Greek word taxis / tagma, which refers to a
military formation, a series or ordering, etc.  This plausibly implies a
historical context in which a Greek military manual was translated to Hebrew
and the range of meanings associated with taxis applied to its preferred term
of translation, serekh.
    Hope this helps.

    Best regards,
    Russell Gmirkin