Is this a rock or not? I Would like to know

Bill Rea cctr114 at it.canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Feb 18 17:40:20 EST 2001

Ian wrote:-

>(And it is normally accepted to use "CE" -- Common Era -- and "BCE", rather
>than the Christian biased "AD" (which you used in your initial post on the
>matter) and "BC" in scholarly circles. This is the imposition religious
>beliefs through indirect cultural means.)

Of course, one could always ask -- "Common" to whom? Dressing up a
Christian dating system with "neutral" language doesn't change its
Christian nature, so why do the CE/BCE thing at all? If someone is
going to be offended by the date 2001 A.D., then they should be equally
offended by 2001 anything.

Bill Rea, Information Technology Dept., Canterbury  University  \_
E-Mail b dot rea at it dot canterbury dot ac dot nz             </   New
Phone   64-3-364-2331, Fax     64-3-364-2332                   /)  Zealand
Unix Systems Administrator                                    (/'