original language of "Maccabeans"

Jim West jwest at Highland.Net
Tue Jan 19 02:50:13 EST 1999

At 10:49 AM 1/19/99 +0200, you wrote:
>Thank you Jim West for your letter 0n 11:12 18/01/99 +0000.
>>As the 4 maccabean texts were not composed in Hebrew, they found no place in
>>the Hebrew canon.
> Do you have a source for this assumption?

I presumed it was common knowledge- like the fact that Ben Sira WAS composed
in Hebrew.  First, the language of the maccabean materials is NOT
translation Greek, reflecting an earlier Hebrew Vorlage.  Second, there is
not a shred of evidence supporting the idea that these texts were written in
Hebrew.  And third, there is not, to my knowledge, a SINGLE copy of these
texts in Hebrew predating the oldest Greek materials.

Jim West, ThD
Quartz Hill School of Theology

jwest at highland.net