I AM THAT I AM

Eric Weiss eweiss at gte.net
Tue Dec 22 09:56:09 EST 1998

Ex. 3:14 usually translates God's name as I AM THAT I AM (EHYEH ASHER
EHYEH). The Yiqtol forms could, to me, support "I WILL BE WHAT/THAT I WILL
BE" and that gains some support from seeing EHYEH in 3:12 and 4:12 and 4:15
(though these last 2 have ANOKI as well).

HOW would one say in Hebrew at 3:14 "I AM THAT I AM" similar to the Greek
EGW EIMI hO (or hOTI) EGW EIMI? Or is EHYEH ASHER EHYEH the "best" Hebrew
way to say this and thus support the traditional translation? The
Septuagint confuses this for me, for it translates 3:14 as EGW EIMI hO WN
("I AM HE WHO IS").

I see a difference between I AM THAT I AM and I WILL BE WHAT I WILL BE, but
I don't want to go off in the wrong direction with this if the Hebrew
really is saying "I AM THAT I AM" or if that is the best way to say I AM
THAT I AM in Hebrew.