[B-Greek] Xylos zoes

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 6 11:50:56 EDT 2010

ἐν μέσῳ τῆς πλατείας αὐτῆς καὶ τοῦ ποταμοῦ ἐντεῦθεν καὶ ἐκεῖθεν ξύλονζωῆςποιοῦν καρποὺς δώδεκα, κατὰ μῆνα ἕκαστον ἀποδιδοῦν τὸν καρπὸν αὐτοῦ, καὶ τὰ φύλλα τοῦ ξύλου εἰς θεραπείαν τῶν ἐθνῶν.
EN MESWi THS PLATEIAS AUTHS KAI TOU POTAMOU ENTEUQEN KAI EKEIQEN CULON ZWHS POIOUN KARPOUS DWDEKA KATA MHNA hEKASTON APODIDOUN TON KARPON AUTOU KAI TA FULLA TOU CULOU EIS QERAPEIAN TWN EQNWN.

In light of the fact that the author of the Apocalypse relies quite heavily on the mythological portraits of the OT in speaking of the Dragon (or Leviathon or Rahab in the OT) and other such elements, I hardly think "John" would be referencing "a different tree."  He was speaking of a figure well-known to his audience.  [It would be advisable for everyone to read Hermann Gunkel's _Schöpfung und Chaos_ now FINALLY translated as _Creation and Chaos in the Primieval Era and the Eschaton_ to gain an understanding of the usage of OT imagery here]  That he fails to use the article here to introduce "the Tree of Life" as a known concept may be accounted for by the fact that in the New Jerusalem Trees of Life are simply ubiquitous (ἐντεῦθεν καὶ ἐκεῖθεν ENTEUQEN KAI EKEIQEN).

 george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
defend the truth till death.