[B-Greek] Xylos zoes

Michael Aubrey mga318 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 6 01:21:22 EDT 2010

According to Stephanie Bakker (_The Noun Phrase in Ancient Greek_, 2009) the use
of the article is dependent upon how identifiable the author perceives the
article's noun to be by the audience. In this case, whether the two phrases mean
the same thing is dependent upon how these two authors viewed this particular
tree and recognizable by their audience. I'm not sure that's question we can
really answer.

Now, if you're really wondering whether they're talking about the same tree,
well that's very different question.

Mike Aubrey
http://evepheso.wordpress.com