[B-Greek] Casualties of the Beginning Greek class

Nikolaos Adamou nikolaos.adamou at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 4 10:53:59 EST 2010

This is a very real problem, and if one does not have the drive to read the original text, and do it in the way that Ιωάννη described, the techniques only moves you away.
Modern Greeks do not live Classical Greek for the same reason.
If one has the motivation of reaching a useful and interest text, then there is an appetite for the language.
I would add, if one also writes (handwritten, and typed) and reads loud, and hears the text that works with it, then it is even better.
During the summer, at a monastery in Greece, my son (4th Grade) attempted to write with a pen and ink on a leather manuscript.  Since then, his attitude changed towards writing, reading, and understanding more the language of his fathers.

I think, those of us who teach, in one or other capacity, have the responsibility to motivate, keep our students interest, and attract even more.

Nikolaos Adamou, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Business Management
BMCC / CUNY