[B-Greek] Pronunciation table/guide

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Thu Apr 1 12:26:00 EDT 2010

Here's a message intended for the list that seems to have slipped between the cracks:
=======
From: Womble Song <womblesong at googlemail.com>
Date: April 1, 2010 9:35:21 AM EDT
To: b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: [B-Greek] Pronouncing PN

On this subject I would be grateful if someone could point out a good
pronunciation table/guide if anyone knows of one.
========

List-members may respond as they wish -- but I would just
inform or remind Womble Song that the views of list-members
on the proper pronunciation of Biblical Greek range across a
spectrum that includes at least three or four distinctly different
schemes:

(1) Erasmian (most commonly taught in European and American schools);
(2) Neo-Hellenic = Modern Greek: Biblical Greek pronounced as if it were Modern Greek;
(3) Reconstructed Classical Attic (W. Sidney Allen, _Vox Graeca_;
(4) Reconstructed Biblical Koine (Randall Buth)
+

There are also tapes, MP3 digital recordings, etc. using all of
the above and even falling here or there between the cracks of the four
listed.