[B-Greek] Mark 7:18-19

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Mon Nov 2 13:37:47 EST 2009

On Nov 2, 2009, at 1:31 AM, Oun Kwon wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> Is it then possible not only to buy KAQARZWN but also to find its
> subject as AFEDRWN (masc.)?
> Cf. www.torahresource.com/EnglishArticles/Mark7.19ShortNote.pdf .

This is a most extraordinary short article; the author (Tim Hegg)
argues that KAQARIZWN probably is the original reading, but that it
does/can not mean what those who have held KAQARIZWN to be original
understand it to mean. Rather, it means the same thing that the neuter
participle KAQARIZON is said to mean. As for the fact that KAQARIZWN
is masculine nominative singular, that doesn't really matter (says
this interpreter), because it must be understood in terms of a
"constructio ad sensum" with either ANQRWPOS or even AFEDRWN as
antecedent. I find this argument extraordinary. Granted, as I suppose
we would (most of us) agree, that the text is more or less awkward
whether one accepts  KAQARIZWN or thinks that  KAQARIZON yields more
acceptable sense, I neverless marvel that Mr Hegg can claim that the
text must be interpreted in the same way whichever reading one
accepts. I marvel that nobody has yet suggested that KAQARIZWN is a
copyist's error for what is more likely an original KAQIZWN -- if
there's an AFEDRA,  then surely someone might be described as KAQIZWN
-- but of course, something else would have to be supplied as an
implicit clue to the enigma.

I suppose that Oun is responding to Mark Lightman's suggestion that
what we have here is a piece of "good-natured bathroom humor."

Whatever else may be said of this thread, it is one of the longest in
recent history -- "the gift that keeps on giving."

Carl W. Conrad