[B-Greek] Pronunciation

Mark Lightman lightmanmark at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 26 14:54:28 EST 2009

Hi Vasile,

I found your site and the audio samples to be interesting, helpful,
and KALA.  I would characterize your system as essentially
Erasmian with a few concessions to MG (B-V, AU-af.)  As a result
I find your samples easier to understand and internalize than Buth or
MG, but maybe a little smoother, more flowing than say Phemister, though again
she remains my favorite as she is still the easiest for me to understand and like
you I have abandoned the standard of what is 'authentic," "natural"
or even "pleasing."

I note that you, like Rico, appear to shorten HTA to an e as in
"pet" in closed syllables, and you, as he does, sometimes do
this with omicron, "aw" as in "law" in at least some closed syllables.
I'm not going to criticize this as I never criticize anything having
to do with pronunciation, but I do wonder why you choose to do this.
It does lead to more homophones, which I continue to maintain are
the enemy of comprehension, though enemies which can be overcome.

I did not notice you differing from the standard accentuation
as it is taught in ancient Greek.  Have I missed something?

Bottom line is that I have added your samples to my MP3 player
and I thank you for them.  The dirty little secret of pronunciation is
that everyone would choose to do it a little differently, which is
another reason to avoid dogmaticsm on this issue.  I like what you
have come up with.

Mark L

FWSFOROS MARKOS