[B-Greek] LXX Genesis 1:2 - tohu as AORATOS

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Wed May 28 14:18:19 EDT 2008

2 ἡ δὲ γῆ ἦν ἀόρατος καὶ ἀκατασκεύαστος, καὶ σκότος ἐπάνω τῆς ἀβύσσου, καὶ πνεῦμα θεοῦ ἐπεφέρετο ἐπάνω τοῦ ὕδατος.
2 hH DE GH HN AORATOS KAI AKATASKEUASTOS, KAI SKOTOS EPANW THS ABUSSOU, KAI PNEUMA QEOU EPEFERETO EPANW TOU hUDATOS
Not to disagree with Albert, but rather more to possibly add to what he has stated.  LSJ notes
Pl.Sph.246a, cf. Tht.155e, al.: τὰν ἀ. ἀτραπιτὸν βιότου [TAN A. ATRAPITON BIOTOU] obscure, Epigr.Gr.223
Liddell, H. G., Scott, R., Jones, H. S., & McKenzie, R. (1996). A Greek-English lexicon. "With a revised supplement, 1996." (Rev. and augm. throughout) (173). Oxford; New York: Clarendon Press; Oxford University Press.

If I am reading this correctly (and I haven't yet checked on it), Plato in the Theatetus uses ἀόρατος [AORATOS] in the sense of "obscure."  Considering the subsequent statement καὶ σκότος ἐπάνω τῆς ἀβύσσου [KAI SKOTOS EPANW THS ABUSSOU], this would seem to be a possible understanding of its use here.george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
defend the truth till death.

- Jan Hus