[B-Greek] FAINW in the subjunctive

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Thu Jan 24 06:43:39 EST 2008

I don't think this Homeric form φανήῃ (FANHHi) ought to be
deemed normative for NT Koine. I think this is an instance of what is
called "diectasis" -- the drawing out into a second syllable of what
would ordinarily be a single syllable -- happens all the time in
singing, e.g. "When I'm calling you-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou."

The aorist subjunctive form in Mt 6:5, φανῶσιν (FANW=SIN) is a
contraction from the verb stem φανε- (FANE- and the subjunctive 3
pl. ending -ωσι(ν). So the 3rd plural aorist "passive" of
φαίνω (FAINW) is actually a contracted form of φανέωσιν
(FANEWSIN), so that the rule of recessive accent is not violated here,
but rather, the circumflex over the omega results from the contraction
of the acute on epsilon with the following omega.

Incidentally, the aorist from ἐφάνη (EFANH) is not really
originally passive but has only come to be deemed such; it's actually
the 3d sg. aorist intransitive aorist ACTIVE, as the 3d sg. aorist
transitive aorist is ἔφηνε(ν). All so-called aorist passives are
really non-thematic intransitive aorist active forms, conjugated with
the active secondary endings N/S/(T)/MEN/TE/SAN.