[B-Greek] EGW EIMI, KAI: hO KAIROS HGGIKEN - LUKE 21:8

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 18 14:32:20 EST 2008

Thank you Carl and George,

On Jan 17, 2008, at 2:28 PM, Carl Conrad wrote:
> My read on it is that there will be lots of people issuing
> apocalyptic announcements of this sort, not that they all will make
> precisely these pronouncements.

LUKE 21:8 hO DE EIPEN: BLEPETE MH PLANHQHTE: POLLOI GAR ELEUSONTAI
EPI TWi ONOMATI MOU LEGONTES: EGW EIMI, KAI: hO KAIROS HGGIKEN. MH
POREUQHTE OPISW AUTWN.

hO KAIROS HGGIKEN is unique to Luke. Let's say the warning found here
is against false teachers/prophets who claim to be acting in Jesus
name ELEUSONTAI EPI TWi ONOMATI MOU and also claim to be someone
important EGW EIMI. This part is easy. Luke adds a third element a
claim that the time is at hand hO KAIROS HGGIKEN.

The question: What are the minimum requirements for a false teacher/
prophet according the Luke LUKE 21:8? Is the claim EGW EIMI a
requirement? The claim itself is ambiguous and may or may not have
messianic significance. I am not concerned about what EGW EIMI
signifies here or in Matthew and Mark. If a teacher/prophet arrives
claiming to act and speak in Jesus name and the message includes hO
KAIROS HGGIKEN but this teacher does not make the claim EGW EIMI, are
we being warned in Luke LUKE 21:8 against a person of this sort?

It seems to me that LUKE 21:8 is saying that a host of apocalyptic
crack pots are going to crop up  claiming to be agents in the service
of Jesus and making various dubious statements of which EGW EIMI and
hO KAIROS HGGIKEN representative samples. This is fairly close to
what Carl posted.

Elizabeth Kline