[B-Greek] Luke 1:34 EPEI ANDRA OU GINWSKW;

Carlton Winbery winberycl at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 27 10:53:07 EDT 2008

>Luke 1:34 Ɉ?¼ÉˆÉÀ ɬ? ɁÉøɦɫ?É  ¼É¦?V É-?ÉÀ ?ɡɡɈɊÉÕÉÀ,
>ÉÆ?V ?É-É-ÉøÉ« É-ÉÕ?É-ÉÕ,
>?¼Éˆ? ?ÉÀɬɦÉø ÉÕ? É¡É«ÉÀ?É-É»É÷;
>
>Luke 1:34 EIPEN DE MARIAM PROS TON AGGELON,
>PWS ESTAI TOUTO,
>EPEI ANDRA OU GINWSKW;
>
>When I read this yesterday, I read É¡É«ÉÀ?É-É»É÷ (GINWSKW) as present tense
>with imperfective force - "seeing as how I'm not sleeping with a man".
>Translations don't seem to go that way, and the commentaries I've looked
>at so far don't even entertain this as a possibility.
>
>Why not - is it wrong to read it this way?
>
>Jonathan

GINWSKW is used in and out of the GNT to signify a sexual
relationship (BDAG). This concept has been carried over into English
and is generally understood by most Bible readers in English. The TEV
makes it much more understandable. "I am a Virgin. How can this be?"
I would agree that the verb here is a present with perfective force.
TEV also captures that nicely as well.

Carlton Winbery

--
Carlton L. Winbery