[B-Greek] OWLS Re: Josephus Ant. 18.6.7

frjsilver at optonline.net frjsilver at optonline.net
Tue Aug 21 10:46:14 EDT 2007

Dear Friends --

Is it even remotely possible that the word came from Greek into Latin?  That happens a lot, too, and sometimes gets passed back or into other languages.

I can't remember where I got this, but a LONG time ago I heard that BOUBO was what AQHNH called her pet owl.

Perhaps, in preclassical Greek, owls said 'bOOOOoooooooo' instead of 'hOOOOOoooooo'.

Of course, MG owls say 'vOOOOoooooo'.  Just like ARISTOFANES quotes sheep as saying BH BH, but those sheep who speak with a Modern Greek accent apparently say 'veeeee veeeee'.

(This is one of the arguments against MG pronunciation of ANCIENT texts;  MG works just fine for hellenistic, scriptural, patristic, and liturgical Greek.)

Anyway, we don't hold their accent against them -- they're just as tasty either way, and some of the recipes are VERY ancient.

Peace and blessings to all.

Father James Silver
(who cut some grape leaves just yesterday to make a few hundred DOLMADES or NTOLMADES, if you prefer:  like lamb, they're just as good either way, and they might make you big and strong, too if you don't stuff yourSELF -- just one of the many good things, like the coffee,) we got from Anatolia (we're not supposed to say 'Turkey' SSSHHHHH!)  [[;-D3