[B-Greek] unicode

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Thu Aug 16 13:15:46 EDT 2007

On Aug 16, 2007, at 1:09 PM, Peter Bekins wrote:

> Carl,
>
> Unicode is indeed "plain text", but when I received the digest in
> "plain text mode" it included the header:

> I assume that this is set to "us-ascii" by the digest program based
> on the option "plain text" defined as "not-MIME". Plain text SMTP e-
> mail is limited to 7-bit ASCII format. MIME is required to transmit e-
> mail in other text encodings such as UTF-8.
>
>  From lurking on the list,  I have noticed that most often people
> having issues with unicode are those who are subscribing to the
> digest, and I assume therefore that this is the main culprit for such
> problems.
>
> If you are not subscribed to the digest, but are having problems with
> unicode then indeed it is either your client's text encoding settings
> or those of the person who sent the e-mail.

I have no problem with Unicode Greek text, when it's rightly entered,
in individual messages or in the digest; I subscribe to both and I
take the digest in plain-text format, not MIME. I have found often
when a message uses Unicode Greek text that I have to change the text
coding to Unicode UTF-8 in order to read it correctly; otherwise it
appears as gobbledygook; and it always appears as gobbledygook if it
hasn't been entered correctly -- unless one happens to have in one's
own computer system the Greek font in which the original was typed
(or, more likely, pasted).

Carl