[B-Greek] unicode

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Thu Aug 16 12:46:07 EDT 2007

On Aug 16, 2007, at 12:34 PM, Peter Bekins wrote:

> Bert,
>
> This came up on B-Hebrew as well. I receive the digest of both lists
> and I have never been able to read the unicode. I have a Mac so I was
> pretty sure it had nothing to do with UTF-8 settings. Then someone
> finally mentioned that there is an option when you first registered
> for the list that sets whether you want to receive plain text or MIME-
> encoded messages. Mine was set to plain text for both which explains
> why Unicode doesn't work.
>
> To change the setting go to the B-Greek page  http://
> lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/b-greek. At the bottom of the page
> enter your e-mail into the field labeled "unsubscribe or edit
> options" and click the button. Enter your password and precede to the
> options page. Set "Get MIME or Plain Text Digests" to MIME.
>
> For future reference this is most likely the culprit and not e-mail
> client settings unless you are using a really old e-mail client.

You can change your DIGEST settings from plain-text to MIME, but that
doesn't really affect the Unicode because UTF-8 is in fact plain-
text. And there's no option to receive messages individually in MIME-
format -- and most of us can read the Unicode Greek texts that are
correctly entered.

Carl W. Conrad