[B-Greek] More on APO KATABOLHS KOSMOU in Rev 13:8 and 17:8

virgil newkirk virgilsalvage1 at msn.com
Tue Nov 8 11:33:51 EST 2005

List,

Rev 13:8 KAI PROSKUNHSOUSIN AUTON PANTES hOI KATOIKOUNTES EPI THS GHS,
hOU OU GEGRAPTAI TO ONOMA AUTOU EN TWi BIBLIWi THS ZWHS TOU ARNIOU
TOU ESFAGMENOU APO KATABOLHS KOSMOU
17:8 ... hOI KATOIKOUNTES EPI THS GHS, hWN OU GEGRAPTAI TO ONOMA EPI
TO BILBLION THS ZWHS APO KATABOLHS KOSMOU

If APO KATABOLHS KOSMOU in both these verses is giving it's classification
to OU GEGREPTAI, that is to say, that this "not having come to be written"
was an occurrence from the foundation of the world, hence, it would have
been a resultant situation from or since that founding; if this is so,
wouldn't we expect to find the pluperfect EGEGRAPTAI that would so clearly
speak that this "not having been written" produced a resultant state from an
action (or lack thereof)(and in the case being mentioned here in Rev 13 &
17)in the distant, distant past ? It seems to me that would be the most
economical and clear way for a writer using Greek to express the concept of
this (having not been written...the names that is)having occurred way in the
past and now that's that.

On the other hand "the perfect" is something that speaks to the present
concerning an action or some process that has brought about the present
resultant situation or condition. It seems to me that the writer has
contemplated these ones who will worship or give service to the beast and
has reached the conclusion that their actions are a representation of their
(up to that present time) having not been written in the Book of Life, hence
the perfect GEGREPTAI. If one has not initiated an action or gone through
some process that results with his name being written in the Book of Life
his inclination is to worship the beast; or at least that what seems to me
that John has concluded and then written about.

Now, if what I've suggested is true it would have to be supported by APO
KATABOLHS KOSMOU unequivocally construing with both TOU ARNIOU TOU
ESFAGMENOU and TO BILBLION THS ZWHS. This would need an argument that
supports just that. I would suggest that the Lamb that is characterized as
having been slain is clearly supported by the writings as being something
that is there, something that is real from or since even the very founding
of the world. This Lamb characterized as having been slain is something from
the earliest of matters; for example,Revelation 19:13 says:

"And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood; and his name is called
the hO LOGOS TOU QEOU !" And as we are all aware...hO LOGOS is from a long
time ago. If one takes some time they can surely call to mind many things in
the writings that speak of this one characterized as having been slain APO
KATABOLHS KOSMOU. There are at the very least many word and situational
pictures of this truth or reality.

And what about TO BILBLION THS ZWHS ? Can we reasonably and logically think
of the scroll...the record of those matters characterized by Life as being
something that is "from" or "since" the founding of the world ? It seems
like that could be ! Surely the founding of the world is when something and
someones can begin to be written about both EN TWi(scroll)BIBLIWi  and EPI
TO(scroll)BIBLION.

Virgil Newkirk
Salt Lake City