[B-Greek] Word order, prominence, and Acts 28:31

Mike Sangrey MSangrey at BlueFeltHat.org
Sat Jul 2 14:11:57 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-02 at 10:22 -0700, Elizabeth Kline wrote:
<snip>
> I am not sure either, note the quotes "naturally". I was citing from memory
> some authority or other who was discussing passive constructions in Ancient
> Greek where the agent is placed into a prepositional phrase:   hUPO agent.
> This authority made an observation that datives, genitives and all
> prepositional phrases are "naturally" side issues (low salience) in a
> predication. I found this statement less than totally convincing because,
> like you, I could immediately think of counter examples. The term "natural"
> also needs to be defined so we make sure we are all talking about the same
> thing.

This is a guess off the top of my head, but I suspect that the idea that
"datives, genitives and all prepositional phrases are 'naturally' side
issues" comes from the assumption that propositional truth governs
saliency.  This ignores rhetorical impact.  There's much more to
communication than just the proposition. I'm not, of course, saying that
illocutionary force of the speaker is unimportant.  And, perhaps, we
need to think in terms of a propositional saliency as distinct from
something more emotive.  I don't know.

--
Mike Sangrey
msangrey AT BlueFeltHat.org
Landisburg, Pa.
                        "The first one last wins."
            "A net of highly cohesive details reveals the truth."