[B-Greek] writing upsilon phonetically

John McChesney-Young panis at pacbell.net
Sun Apr 10 15:58:36 EDT 2005

And at 1:40 PM -0400 4/10/05, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>Well, that came up a blank on my Mac screen. Mac-users use option-u+u to
>yield ü.

And on my Mac screen using Eudora Pro 6.0.1 the
PC Alt-252 produces what I took at first to be a
small comma but now suspect is an unattached
cedilla. Herein lies yet another illustration of
what happens when one tries to use anything but
lower ASCII [[1]] in e-mails.

To return to the question at hand, one
long-standing convention for the representation
of a dieresis/umlaut is that of Betacode, also
used by the BMCR:

http://www.tlg.uci.edu/BCM2004.pdf
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/bmcr/review.html

of following the vowel with a plus sign. A
slightly more intuitive way is to follow it with
a double-quote; e.g., Scho"pfung.

John

[[1]] See e.g. the top table at:
http://www.wiktel.com/standards/ascii.htm;
essentially it's the symbols you can see on the
keys of a standard keyboard.
--

*** John McChesney-Young  **
panis~at~pacbell.net  **   Berkeley, California,