[B-Greek] hOU EAN in 1 Cor 16.6

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Wed Sep 29 19:09:17 EDT 2004

At 4:05 PM -0500 9/29/04, Steven Lo Vullo wrote:
>On Sep 25, 2004, at 3:42 PM, Arie Dirkzwager wrote:
>
>> AN (or here EAN with the function of AN) with a conjunctive can be
>> - a futuralis, i.e. a way to express the same as a future tense
>> - a generalis, i.e. a way to express a general truth
>>
>> In your sentence "when/if  I will come" gives the occasion in the
>> future
>> when the Corinthians should PROPEMPEIN Paul.
>
>Hi Arie:
>
>I understand the semantics. My question has more to do with syntax. You
>speak above of "AN ... with a conjunctive." It appears you are taking
>hOU as a conjunctive. But is it? Does hOU EAN in this text introduce a
>subordinate clause? The reason I ask is because in all the other
>examples of hOU [E]AN in the NT this does not appear to be the case.

I think that Arie is probably using "conjunctive" as the Dutch/German term
for "subjunctive." I don't know whether this will answer your question any
better, Steven, but I'd say that in

	hINA hUMEIS ME PROPEMYHTE hOU EAN POREUWMAI

hOU EAN POREUWMAI is subordinate to the hINA clause as a protasis of a
conditional construction, " ... so that, wherever I may go, you may escort
me."

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/