[B-Greek] hOU EAN in 1 Cor 16.6

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Wed Sep 29 19:09:17 EDT 2004

At 4:05 PM -0500 9/29/04, Steven Lo Vullo wrote:
>On Sep 25, 2004, at 3:42 PM, Arie Dirkzwager wrote:
>> AN (or here EAN with the function of AN) with a conjunctive can be
>> - a futuralis, i.e. a way to express the same as a future tense
>> - a generalis, i.e. a way to express a general truth
>> In your sentence "when/if  I will come" gives the occasion in the
>> future
>> when the Corinthians should PROPEMPEIN Paul.
>Hi Arie:
>I understand the semantics. My question has more to do with syntax. You
>speak above of "AN ... with a conjunctive." It appears you are taking
>hOU as a conjunctive. But is it? Does hOU EAN in this text introduce a
>subordinate clause? The reason I ask is because in all the other
>examples of hOU [E]AN in the NT this does not appear to be the case.

I think that Arie is probably using "conjunctive" as the Dutch/German term
for "subjunctive." I don't know whether this will answer your question any
better, Steven, but I'd say that in

hOU EAN POREUWMAI is subordinate to the hINA clause as a protasis of a
conditional construction, " ... so that, wherever I may go, you may escort

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/