[B-Greek] NT Greek accents[Scanned]

bgreek at ntresources.com bgreek at ntresources.com
Fri Sep 17 11:54:03 EDT 2004

There is an alternative. I ignore *most* accents in teaching first year Greek.

The exceptions are: they must know the names of the accents, they must stress the accented syllable when pronouncing the word, and for forms which are distinguished by the accent they must know the correct accent.

They do not have to know how to determine the correct accent (i.e., the myriad of rules for accent).

This will not do if one wants to learn/teach Greek composition, but if the goal is to *read* the Greek NT--and you have limited course hours, it may be worth the trade off. Will those who learn the full accent system and learn to write the Greek with correct accents know Greek better? Sure. (It grates me to be such a pragmatist, but I've found no better solution in the typical American college/seminary curriculum. :(

(And you really should investigate Mounce's textbook for next year; it's a major upgrade from Machen, IMHO!)

.
Rodney J. Decker, Th.D., Assoc. Professor/NT
Baptist Bible Seminary, Clarks Summit, PA, USA
PURL: purl.oclc.org/NT_Resources/
Email: <rdecker> at <NTResources.com>