[B-Greek] PARADIDWMI

Barry nebarry at verizon.net
Thu May 20 23:18:42 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 at comcast.net>
To: "Barry" <nebarry at verizon.net>
Cc: <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2004 4:20 PM
Subject: Re: [B-Greek] PARADIDWMI

> > Reference?
>
> The author in question is William Klassen and his claim is apparently made in
his
> book on Judas.  I say apparently because I haven't read the book my self.  But
the
> claim is posted  by Klassen as the central thesis of his book on the blurb
about his
> book that appears on his webpage.
>
> See:  http://retirees.uwaterloo.ca/~wklassen/judas.htm
>
> And Danker seems to take him seriously.  See the entry in BDAG under
PARADIDWMI.

Yes, according to the kudos page he includes, Bruce Metzger and several other
noted scholars find his work intriguing.  Still, according to LSJ (Perseus --
pardon the transliteration):

2. give a city or person into another's hands, th\n Sa/mon p. Sulosw=nti Hdt.
3.149; a)/llon e)j a)/llhn po/lin p. IDEM=Hdt. 5.37; esp. as a hostage, or to an
enemy, deliver up, surrender, e(wuto\n Kroi/sw? IDEM=Hdt. 1.45, cf. au=Hdt.
3.13, Thuc. 7.86; ta\j nau=j Andoc. 3.11, etc.: with collat. notion of
treachery, betray, Xen. Cyrop. 5.4.51, Paus. 1.2.1; p. o(/pla Xen. Cyrop.
5.1.28, ...

So that the notion of "betray" seems fairly well established in the literature
in general.

So, maybe somebody can actually read the book and see if his arguments hold
water.

N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Fecisti nos ad te et inquietum est cor nostrum, donec requiescat in te...
    -- Augustine, Confessions 1:1

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1yfx7/