[B-Greek] Coat of what?

Eric Weiss eweiss at gte.net
Tue Jan 13 13:56:40 EST 2004

> I guess the way I would handle the issue would be to use what
> Eric Weiss posted from Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan "a long colorful
> coat."  This gives both the notion of brightly colored and of a
> long, formal style

Of course, Kaplan may in fact be guilty of what D.A. Carson calls "Unwarranted adoption of an expanded semantic field (also called "illegitimate totality transfer")" – i.e., supposing that the meaning of a word in a specific context is much broader than the context itself allows, and bringing with it the word's entire semantic range. (EXEGETICAL FALLACIES).

I, too, do not envy the translator's task!!

Eric S. Weiss
eweiss at gte.net
http://www.geocities.com/papaweiss1/index.htm