[B-Greek] Vowel rules for Erasmian pronunciation

Barbara D. Colt babc2 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 8 19:28:50 EST 2004

> There are a LOT of Greek grammars that say there are long and short
> alphas and iotas. Others just give one sound for each of the
vowels. > Some even give a long and short upsilon.

In languages other than English, vowel-length pertains not to the
pronunciation of the vowel but to how long it's held.  There are
differences in vowel length in English, of course, but they have no
phonemic value and so we pay no attention to them, and most English
speakers are unconscious of them.  But listen carefully to the
difference between the vowel in pack or pat and that in pad or pan.

Barbara D. Colt, mailto:babc2 at comcast.net
St John the Evangelist, San Francisco
>From envy, hatred, and malice and all uncharitableness
Good Lord, deliver us.