[B-Greek] 1 John 2:6

William Hassold sarwilha at atlantic.net
Sat Aug 21 11:27:42 EDT 2004

  Wilson, perhaps I can clarify the construction in 1 John 2:6.       HO LEGON "the one who is saying" is a participle that functions as a noun.  What this individual says is:  "I am remaining in him [Christ]."   This is indirect discourse, and the construction with an infintive is not as common in Koine Greek as it was in classical Greek.  In Classical Greek the subject of the infinitive was expressed by a noun in the accusative case if it differs from the one who is speaking.  But here the one who is speaking is talking about his situation and therefore according to classical standards there was no necessity for the subject to be expressed.

  If your suggestion that OPHELEI be rendered "He who says he is to abide in Him owes it to himself" overlooks, first of all the fact that if this were to be at all tenable, the verb would have to be in the middle voice, not the active.

  Accordingly, the sense here is  "The one who says, "I am abiding in Him" [or:  The one who says that he (referring back to himself is remaining in him] ought himself so  to walk just as He {Christ} walked.

                                                                 Will Hassold