[B-Greek] Pronouncing PILATOS

JMonte2000 at aol.com JMonte2000 at aol.com
Thu Aug 12 16:01:36 EDT 2004

Hi John
    I am going through his book too, and what Mr.  Mounce usually says is,
"That's the way my teacher said it, and that's the way  his teachers said it to
him." Do the best you can, I personally wouldn't get  worried about that word
either way, it's a proper name. There's enough to get  down in your head. If
you come out saying or pronouncing words the way he says  it, at the end of the
book I think you'd be a winner.
You must have just started the book, right? That's in the beginning. I am  at
chapter 16, I never thought I could do it, by the grace of God, of course
with hard work I am doing great.
Best to you in your studies with the book
Jimmy Montesano

In a message dated 8/12/2004 9:53:34 AM Eastern Standard Time,
gfsomsel at juno.com writes:

On Thu,  12 Aug 2004 08:41:55 -0500 "Mitchell, John  W"
<JWMitchell at midamerican.com> writes:
> I'm just starting  Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek.  On the provided
> CD
>  he pronounces the vocabulary words.  I understood why each word
>  sounded
> the way it did until I got to the word PILATOS.  He  pronounced it
> like
> "pie lah tes".
>
> 1.  Why does the iota make a sound like a long i?   According to
> what
> I've read iota can only be short like lid  or long like bee.
>
> 2.  Why does he pronounce the  ending three letters like "tes" and
> not
> "tahs" like the  omicron sound usually makes?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>  John Mitchell
>
> ---

I would never attempt to explain why  someone does something in a
particular manner unless I had information  which would support my
conclusion.  Therefore, I won't attempt to  speculate why Mounce
pronounces the name Pilate [PILATOS] as he does.   I can only give you the
way I think it should be pronounced which  is

PEE - LAH' - TOS  [as in  "toss"]

george
gfsomsel
---