[B-Greek] Pronunciation of Greek

Steven Lo Vullo slovullo at mac.com
Mon Aug 9 18:35:49 EDT 2004

On Aug 9, 2004, at 2:22 AM, Joseph Weaks wrote:

> On Aug 9, 2004, at 2:13 AM, George F. Somsel wrote:
>> ...Logos Research Systems has just announced the intent to publish an
>> add-in in which the user can select to hear either the Erasmian or
>> the modern pronunciation
>> of the lemma of words.  I repeat, this is the lemma, not a reading of
>> the
>> text.
>
> Seriously? I must be misunderstanding you. Logos software can not read
> the Greek text aloud? That is pathetically behind. Accordance has been
> reading the Greek and Hebrew bible aloud for nearly as long as I can
> recall. George, is the rest of this email, an advertisement?
> Coincidentally, Accordance also happens to be finishing up some
> critical apparatus goodies this year. They do have the Greek
> lexicons/grammars you mentioned, as well.

Yes, but it sounds like a robot on meth. As much as I love Accordance,
I have never warmed to the speech feature. It's just too unnatural and
at times unintelligible. I think what George has in mind is something
like you would find in an English electronic dictionary--a human voice
pronouncing the word. Check out, for example, <http://www.m-w.com/>.

Also, we don't yet have the unabridged LSJ.