Matt. 5:28

Paul O. Wendland wendlanp at wls.wels.net
Sat Oct 12 17:34:41 EDT 2002

Mark:

> EGW DE LEGW hUMIN hOTI PAS hO BLEPWN GUNAIKA PROS TO EPIQUMHSAI AUTHN HDH
> EMOICEUSEN AUTHN EN Thi KARDIAi AUTOU
>
> On PROS TO EPIQUMHSAI AUTHN, a commentary I am reading notes that
> the Accusative is found here (AUTHN). In essence, the author
> suggests that the Genitive would be expected in the way we
> traditionally understand this verse (to lust after her).

LXX, Exodus 20:17:
OUK EPIQUMESEIS THN GUNAIKA TOU PLHSION SOU
Which is why BDAG interprets it in the traditional way.  Seems pretty
convincing to me.  I don't see why the infinitive would require a genitive
if the finite verb form doesn't.  There would also seem to be a strong
parallel with EMOICEUSEN AUTHN EN THi KARDIAi AUTOU, suggesting that the
lust is not going on in the mind of the woman, but the adultery and the lust
are happening in the heart of the man.

Paul

Paul O. Wendland
Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary