KOSMOS

Ben and Jo Crick ben.crick at argonet.co.uk
Fri Oct 11 18:39:41 EDT 2002

On Fri 11 Oct 2002 (17:59:12), cms at dragon.com wrote:
> It seems to me that the word KOSMOS can have a meaning beyond that of
> the original intent of the author, so that KOSMOS can indeed mean the
> entire universe encompassing all the planets and any beings on them.
>
> [snipped]

 Dear Cindy,

 I was always taught that this use of KOSMOS is an instance of Synechdoche,
 where the Container is put for the Contents. God forgives the sins of all
 the *people* in the KOSMOS, not of the KOSMOS itself. The KOSMOS itself is
 inanimate and impersonal, the stage upon which people strut their stuff.

 $00.02

 Ben
 <ben.crick at argonet.co.uk>
 http://www.cnetwork.co.uk/crick.htm