Matthew 5: 18-19

L. J. Swain larry.swain at WMICH.EDU
Sun Oct 6 19:13:24 EDT 2002

Steven Lo Vullo wrote:

> On Sunday, October 6, 2002, at 02:40 PM, jldrick at juno.com wrote:
>
> > Gang,
> >
> >       "AMHN GAR LEGW hUMIN, hEWS AN
> > PARELQNi hO OURANOS KAI hH GH, IWTA hEN
> > hH MIA KERAIA OU MH PARELQHi APO TOU
> > NOMOU, hEWS AN PANTA GENHTAI"
> >
> >       Does "hEWS AN PARELQNi hO OURANOS
> > KAI hH GH" modify "IWTA hEN hH MIA KERAIA OU
> > MH PARELQHi APO TOU NOMOU," or does it modify
> > "LEGW hUMIN."
> >
> >       I have not been able to find other New
> > Testament examples of two hEWS AN clauses
> > forming a "sandwich" like this.
>
> Greetings, Jim:
>
> I would analyse as follows: IWTA hEN H MIA KERAIA OU MH PARELQHi APO
> TOU NOMOU is a nominal clause, the object of LEGW. It seems that both
> indefinite temporal clauses introduced by hEWS AN are subordinate to
> PARELQHi.
> ============

I would analyze this somewhat differently that Steven.  LEGW here is
intransitive and simply introduces direct discourse.  I say to you,
"Until....

The main clause of the direct discourse is IWTA to NOMOU.  The HEWS here
is a temporal relative, used with AN + SUBJ in the first clause and is
subordinate to the IWTA clause and modifies it, setting up the
circumstances under which the main clause operates.  IN this instance
the HEWS is close to a conditional relative.  The second HEWS seems to
be to function the same way, in my view qualifying the first HEWS clause
although it could just as well qualify the main clause.  That is, :

For I say to you, "Until heaven and earth shall pass away, when all
things are done, not one iota...."

OR

For I say to you, "Until heaven and earth shall pass away, not
one....until all things are done....

In the first, there is one "condition" for the main clause to be true,
qualified by a further temporality.  In the second example 2 conditions
must be present for the main clause.  I think the first example the more
likely reading however.

Now that I've been bold enough to put this out there, I'm waiting to
hear what the "big" Greeks have to say....

Larry Swain