PRESBUTEROS

Denny A Diehl dd-1 at juno.com
Sat Sep 23 10:35:03 EDT 2000

Francisco,

In Titus, it is stated:

	KATASTHSHiS KATA POLIN PRESBUTEROUS

with some of the requirements of such an appointee as

	MIAS GUNAIKOS ANHR

and

	TEKNA ECWN PISTA

so I would think he would be old enough to have fulfilled
at least those two requirements.

> As an aside, are there any indications in the related literature as
> to when a man is an old man (PRESBUTEROS)? 40's? 50's?

Age is an interesting thing:  the younger want to be older, and
the older want to be younger.  Quite relative.

Polybius 18.12.5 speaks of Flaminius as "young" -age 30
Irenaeus Haer. 2.22.5  one is "young" up to age 40
Aulus Gellius 10.28 soldiers "are reckoned IUNIORES up to 46

That deals with the other side of the coin, I know; but maybe
helpful.

All the best.

Denny Diehl