Wallace on Ga 4:14

clayton stirling bartholomew c.s.bartholomew at worldnet.att.net
Mon Sep 18 16:08:49 EDT 2000

on 09/18/00 10:10 AM, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:

>> Clay:
>> Here is the actual quote ---   progressing from " most probable" to " is "
>> I would rate as blunt rather than nuanced <g>

>> KURIOU (cf. Matt 1:20; 28:2; Luke 2:9; Acts 12:7; Gal 4:14 [AYYELOS QEOU]
>> In the LXX this is the normal phrase used to translate MLACH ADONAI  ("the
>> angel of the Lord").
>> The NT exhibits the same phenomenon, prompting Nigel Turner to suggest that
>> "AGGELOS KURIOU is not an angel but the angel [of the Lord]." Indeed,
>> although most scholars treat AGGELOS KURIOU in the NT as "an angel of the
>> Lord," there is no linguistic basis for doing so. Apart from theological
>> argument, it is most probable that AGGELOS KURIOU is the angel of the Lord
>> in the NT and is to be identified with the the angel of the Lord of the OT.<<
>>
>> Regards
>> Maurice
>
> Thanks for this clarification. I suspect that a number of well informed
> folks might find lumping Gal 4:14 [AYYELOS QEOU]  under a discussion of
> AGGELOS KURIOU to be a dubious procedure.

I looked at some passages* in the LXX to see how often AYYELOS QEOU renders
malak YHWH and how often it renders malak elohim. Numbers 22:22ff had a
string of occurrences where AYYELOS QEOU renders malak YHWH. All of the
others were renderings of malak elohim. 2Sam. 24:16 looked like a passage
worth close inspection but I don't want to take the time to do it.

The Numbers 22:22ff samples indicate that it is not impossible for AYYELOS
QEOU to be used in a definite sense in the LXX but I don't think we can
assume that AYYELOS QEOU is definite or that it is an equivalent of AYYELOS
KURIOU without close consideration of each particular occurrence.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

*passages I checked using E. Tov's MT/LXX database

Gen. 21:17
Gen. 31:11
Ex. 14:19
Num. 22:22