Rev. 1.1, 2

Polycarp66 at aol.com Polycarp66 at aol.com
Sat Sep 9 12:45:43 EDT 2000

I have read in some well-considered commentaries (most notably R.H. Charles)
that the author of the Apocalypse never identifies himself as the Apostle
John.  I tend to take issue with this opinion in light of these verses.

I take v. 2 to indicate that the author was presenting himself as being a
witness to the "Word of God" (a reference to Jn 1.1?) and to the MARTURIAN of
Jesus Christ which I understand in the modern sense of "martyrdom." Although
"hOS" is nom. and "IWANNHi" is dat., I don't consider this a problem in view
of nature the Greek of the Apocalypse.

Your comments are appreciated.  Text follows.  If you have the SPIonic font,
you can copy the second version of the text, paste it into a WP program, and
format it as SPIonic (except for the numbers which should be some other font
such as Arial or Times New Roman).  In this way you can view it as native
Greek.

1  APOKALUYIS IHSOU XRISTOU hH EDWKEN AUTWi hO QEOS DEICAI TOIS DOULOIS AUTOU
hA DEI GENESQAI EN TAXEI, KAI ESHMANEN APOSTEILAS DIA TOU AGGELOU AUTOU TWi
DOULWi AUTOU IANNHi ESHMANEN APOSTEILAS DIA TOU AGGELOU AUTOU TWi DOULWi
AUTOU IWANNHi

2 hOS EMARTURHSEN TON LOGON TOU QEOU KAI THN MARTURIAN IHSOU XRISTOU hOSA
EIDEN

1  )Apoka/lu/yij )Ihsou~ Xristou~ h(\n e)/dwken au)tw~| o( qeo\j dei~cai toi~j
 dou/loij au)tou~ a(\ dei~ gene/sqai e)n ta/xei, kai\ e)sh/manen a)postei/laj
dia\ tw~| dou/lw~| au)tou~  )Iwa/nnh|,

2 o(\j  e)/martu/rhsen to\n lo/gon tou~ qeou~ kai\ th\n marturi/an  )Ihsou~
Xristou~ o(/sa ei)~den.

thanks,
gfsomsel