Either this or myself needs straightening out

Stephen C. Carlson scarlson at mindspring.com
Thu May 25 23:15:49 EDT 2000

At 02:53 AM 5/26/00 GMT, B.J. Williamson wrote:
>Passage: Hebrews 12:1a
>Issues: Accusative with Nominative?, ellipsis?
>
>TOIGAROUN KAI hHMEIS
>TOSOUTON ECONTES PERIKEIMENON hHMIN
>NEFOS MARTURWN
>
>I take TOSOUTON as Accusative. I take NEFOS as Nominative.
>And for these reasons, it seems unnatural to put them together
>as seeming all translations do: “such a great cloud.”
>
>Would someone confirm or correct my thinking here:

You should take NEFOS as accusative here.  NEFOS is neuter, so
its accusative is also NEFOS, the same form as the nominative.
There is no *NEFON accusative of NEFOS.

Stephen Carlson
Stephen C. Carlson                        mailto:scarlson at mindspring.com
Synoptic Problem Home Page   http://www.mindspring.com/~scarlson/synopt/
"Poetry speaks of aspirations, and songs chant the words."  Shujing 2.35